Mad Max 4 - The Game (September 1st 2015 PS4, XB1, PC)

Computer games, role playing games, online games...

Re: Mad Max 4 - The Game

Postby Nightwalker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:28 am

Max only had one shell left he didn't want to waste on putting someone out of his misery. That sounds very logical. So the game developers had to think of an alternative to make it a very brutal scene. But choosing the car as the instrument of death is not very logical. If you bump over a body with your car there is the possibility there might be some damage done to your car. And in a world without any resources that is the last thing you want. To lose your way of transportation and to carry your scavenged goods. The game developers didn't think properly about this scene. The way Max knocked out the mohawk in MM2 would be a very good example of how Max should have done it in this case. Just knock the guy out with a boltcutter or a crowbar of some kind is much more logical. The game developers were just looking for the most brutal way to do the job instead of thinking of the most practical way.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Postby Desloc » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:17 am

Get the bullet wrote:
JZero wrote:Max was pretty brutal in Mad Max 2 over the 2-3 days we only saw him. Who knows what else he did? We saw him ploughing through many cars with the tanker killing as many as he could, happy to set people on fire, shooting a couple of people in the head point blank and smacking a guy over the head with a pair of bolt cutters. What's driving over someones head who's close to death?

I disagree with your comments. There is quite a bit of difference between what is done during combat/survival and what is done after. Driving over a wounded man verses shooting the XA Bat Car that is attacking you is quite different; one is not Max's style. Even with Johnny he gave him a clear choice and chance rather than just throw gas on him, set him on fire, and then tap dance on his ashes. This is not the characters style and was done for nothing more than gratuitous shock value.
v/r
Mike
"You think you're special?! We've all lost someone we've loved, but we're still human beings, with dignity. You? You're out there with the garbage... you're nothing."
Desloc

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:04 am

Maybe there is more to the game than described, but don't you think they could have come up with a more epic or heroic storyline than trying to get back a stolen car? Yes, the car is iconic, but it is still just a prop for his character. Imagine if they made a "Man With No Name' game and the goal was to find his stolen poncho....

And there is a difference between brutal versus murderous, although the character on the ground may have been an ally with no chance to live instead of a random marauder.

What worries me most is things like 'spiky tires'....are we to get cartoon/comic book gadgets?
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby Stef-Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 am

DetritusMaximus wrote:Maybe there is more to the game than described, but don't you think they could have come up with a more epic or heroic storyline than trying to get back a stolen car? Yes, the car is iconic, but it is still just a prop for his character. Imagine if they made a "Man With No Name' game and the goal was to find his stolen poncho....

And there is a difference between brutal versus murderous, although the character on the ground may have been an ally with no chance to live instead of a random marauder.

What worries me most is things like 'spiky tires'....are we to get cartoon/comic book gadgets?

Interesting post. Nevertheless, two things. Maybe the stolen car storyline is the top of the iceberg. But, beyond the car itself which is -I think- very important for Max (one of the best cars out there, a prop -yes- but one like his leather that can help him to survive, etc...), Max has principles which not allow him to let go a thief. Mel Gibson said once that Max is a killer with moral principles. One of those is to seek revenge when his integrity is in jeopardy (the films showed it, especially Thunderdome). Max has to find the thieves and make them pay. He's like that.

Second thing, maybe the marauder was an ally. One thing is sure, he wasn't an enemy: in this case, Max would have left the man agonising. Maybe the trailer is just a short film in itself, a way to present the game at the E3. Maybe we'll never see this sequence in the final game. Personnally, I hope not, because I really liked it!
Stef-Man

Postby DGSimo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:53 am

The Interceptor getting stolen seems to just serve the purpose of getting the story rolling and Max meeting Chumbucket and getting the Magnum Opus, his main vehicle for the game that is completely customizable to the point the devs said you can customize it to make your own Interceptor.

The main story line seems to be following this...
A reluctant hero with an instinct for survival, Max wants nothing more than to leave the madness behind and find solace in the storied “Plains of Silence”.

Being an open world sandbox game though, while that will be the main plot to get things going there will be countless quests and side missions you can do without even having to deal with the main quest. They showed some concept art at the presentation and again, while the game is a stand-alone story it's still pulling a lot of design elements from Fury Road.

Sadly, going by Avalanche's Twitter we may not see more of the game until 2014. :(
DGSimo

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 am

Stef-Man wrote:
DetritusMaximus wrote:Maybe there is more to the game than described, but don't you think they could have come up with a more epic or heroic storyline than trying to get back a stolen car? Yes, the car is iconic, but it is still just a prop for his character. Imagine if they made a "Man With No Name' game and the goal was to find his stolen poncho....

Interesting post. Nevertheless, two things. Maybe the stolen car storyline is the top of the iceberg. But, beyond the car itself which is -I think- very important for Max (one of the best cars out there, a prop -yes- but one like his leather that can help him to survive, etc...), Max has principles which not allow him to let go a thief. Mel Gibson said once that Max is a killer with moral principles. One of those is to seek revenge when his integrity is in jeopardy (the films showed it, especially Thunderdome). Max has to find the thieves and make them pay. He's like that.

Second thing, maybe the marauder was an ally. One thing is sure, he wasn't an enemy: in this case, Max would have left the man agonising. Maybe the trailer is just a short film in itself, a way to present the game at the E3. Maybe we'll never see this sequence in the final game. Personnally, I hope not, because I really liked it!

I feel the car is less important to Max than it is to the fans. It was tool, but not the only one. He had no qualms about smashing the nose into the Landau and he takes the Lonewolf at the end of RW and starts off Thunderdome with a camel drawn truck and ends up on foot. I think it would work if it was a small part of the overall game, not the structure to hang other elements of the game on to it. If the Magnum Opus gets him thru a set of dangerous missions, then why need the BoB? Singleminded justice has a ring of truth to it, but an epic story needs more than that and the game needs to be epic. Otherwise, we have something that would satisfy the plotline of a Gone in 60 Seconds game.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby pauli77 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm

I don't think they made the bourne game?

They made Just Cause 1 and 2.

This is how they did driving physics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhJCA4CV87E

From the quotes suggesting a less realistic approach I can only assume they're going to advance on the Just Cause 2 engine by polishing it and going from there.

(Just Cause was also an open world sandbox game with driving and car jacking elements btw)
pauli77

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:09 am

DetritusMaximus wrote:I feel the car is less important to Max than it is to the fans.

And there lies the crux of the issue. The game is for fans to play not Max. When it comes out everybody's going to be obsessed with trying to get the BoB.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Modern Wastelander » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 am

I just hope there's more weapons than just the shotgun and harpoon. Would like to put that C/96 he throws on the counter in Thunderdome to some use.
Modern Wastelander

Postby biolumen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Maybe this will clear things up.

Mad Max maker says he wasn't making the Mad Max he was rumored to be making

By Chris Plante on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:30p @ctplante

At last week's E3, Avalanche Studios CEO Christofer Sundberg added an interesting twist to one of video game's most befuddling creative timelines. According to him, Avalanche Studio 's Mad Max isn't the same Mad Max game Avalanche Studios was rumored to be making.

The first mention of a new Mad Max game came in 2008. Cory Barlog, the game director for God of War 2, left Sony Santa Monica to collaborate with George Miller, the creator of the Mad Max films, on a video game tie-in for a Mad Max animated film. In October 2008, Barlog wrote on his personal blog: "My last trip to Sydney in September marked the completion of that stuff. I gotta say, and I know I am totally biased here, but I gotta say that this story — as well as this game — is pretty freaking bad ass!" Barlog added that he had begun to look for a publisher.

In 2010, Barlog began work with Avalanche Studios in Sweden, and it was widely rumored he brought the Mad Max video game project with him. According to Barlog's LinkedIn, he was serving as a video game consultant during this time, while continuing work with Miller on the Mad Max tie-in game.

Meanwhile, the Mad Max film sequel, titled Mad Max: Fury Road, stumbled through years or development hell. In 2009, it was reimagined as a 3D live action film.

In January 2012, Barlog left Avalanche for a Creative Director role at Crystal Dynamics, and in July of the same year, Miller began filming the live action Mad Max: Fury Road film. A Mad Max video game wasn't mentioned until last week's E3 with the announcement of Mad Max by Avalanche Studios.

Except this Mad Max game isn't Cory Barlog's Mad Max game.

"I don't know what [Barlog] worked on before he started working with us," says Avalanche CEO Christofer Sundberg, "but when we worked together he wasn't on Mad Max."

"We've been in production [on Mad Max] for about 18 months," says Sundberg, "but it's been a process up until then. The game has gone through a series of iterations. We've been working for it for a couple years."

"A couple years" puts Barlog at Avalanche during the protracted pre-production, making the timeline all the stranger. However, Avalanche's Mad Max, Sunderberg says, isn't a tie-in with Mad Max: Fury Road. The game takes place in its own unique world, separate from the locales of the films.

This leaves us with one big question: what happened to Barlog's Mad Max game? With Barlog rumored to be working on a new Legacy of Kain game, we may never know.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/443914 ... ored-to-be
biolumen

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Gaming