MM Website Updates

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

MM Website Updates

Postby PL-12Airtruk » Tue May 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Hello,

I've noted there has been no recent updates to the website, since Sep 2015. Just wondering.
Looks like I got me some guzzoline eh....V-8?
PL-12Airtruk

Re: MM Website Updates

Postby Taipan » Tue May 03, 2016 10:04 pm

True, there isn't a whole lot going on the front page.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby tehCal » Wed May 04, 2016 2:57 am

It's actually pretty frustrating. Mad Max groups on Facebook get post after post, all day long, and yet this page never gets updated and the forum is only marginally used.

That said, these days, most activity on Mad Max Facebook groups is just photos of people's car projects, or the same screenshots/posters from MM2 over and over again. Personally I think somebody like Taipan should be running this page. He is probably the most active and interested fan out there, who actually talks about the making of the films, the vehicles, the work of the crew, etc.
tehCal

Postby PL-12Airtruk » Wed May 04, 2016 3:43 pm

I spoke to Peter Barton early last year prior to the release of MM:FR via email and he indicated he was planning a complete
redesign of the website which sounded very exciting.

Of recent I've not been able to get email replies from him and since the news page is not updating it prompted an inquiry
through the forum here.

I've been a keen follower of this website since 1997-98 and regard it as one of the best (and original) internet fan sites.

Facebook is fine but a real bummer for anything except "banter".
PL-12Airtruk

Postby tehCal » Wed May 04, 2016 4:28 pm

I feel like, while this page serves a purpose and has a lot of interesting tidbits, it should probably just be integrated with the Mad Max Wikia, which is a far more detailed resource (again, thanks to folks like Taipan). Artemis Flow's Fury Road Vehicles page could also be incorporated, since it essentially has information that should eventually make its way to the Wikia.

I have all these ideas for a detailed, comprehensive compendium for the Mad Max movies, sort of a cross between the Wikia and an encyclopedia, with photos and detailed information about EVERY character, car and location from the series. I'm actually completely surprised that it doesn't already exist aside from the rudimentary form on the Wikia (which only has individual pages for about 1/4 of the cars from the films).

For example, the fact that MM2 and MMBT came out over 30 years ago yet we still don't have a complete list of the cars with photos of each -- absolutely ridiculous and disappointing.

Mad Max is a series absolutely designed for a rabid fanbase to collate and obsess over details, just like Star Wars, but unlike these other major fandoms, everyone just seems too lazy and rarely does anyone actively work together towards a shared goal. Too many people claim to be fans but don't care about anything but the Interceptor.

I think this is due to the split between fans who just love the first film and classic cars in general, and fans who love the post-apocalyptic worldbuilding, production design and poetic vision of George Miller.

I fall squarely in the latter camp and feel like there needs to be less focus on replicas and car meets, and more focus on the history and backstory of the films, and the individual "characters" of each vehicle from the various armadas and gangs in the series.

It's about time this fan community had a shake-up. Taipan, Artemis Flow, myself and a few others really need to pool our resources and MM connections to collaborate on something grand...
Last edited by tehCal on Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tehCal

Postby tehCal » Wed May 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Case in point, there are hundreds of teenage girls on Tumblr making bullshit fan-canon about Fury Road (which is usually completely wrong, or misses the various themes of the series), but at least they're focused and dedicated, which is more than I can say about the majority of self-professed Mad Max fans online.

Whereas, here, we get a few posts a day (if that), and only a small core group of forumgoers who share the fascinating background information and trivia they discover, only to get lackadaisical half-hearted interest from 2-3 commenters.
tehCal

Postby PL-12Airtruk » Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm

tehCal wrote:there are hundreds of teenage girls on Tumblr making bullshit fan-canon about Fury Road

Mind you, this demograph tend to have more spare time for such matters.

I only speak for myself (as a middle-aged MM fan of some 30 years) but the rigors of career, raising a family etc. leave little time for much dedication
to forum speak and site building. My situation is that I tend to drift in and drift out again to the forum and I suspect many others are the same?

Has anyone spoken to Peter lately though? as he seems to be unreachable???
PL-12Airtruk

Postby tehCal » Wed May 04, 2016 10:06 pm

I can't speak for anybody else either, of course, but I work 42.5 hours a week, live with my girlfriend, and maintain an active social life (as well as sometimes DJing on weekends), and I still find plenty of time to be online to research and discuss MM stuff.

Note: I apologise if I sound accusatory, I know that not everyone has time for this stuff. But if people don't have time for it, they shouldn't be running sites like this one -- just my two cents!
tehCal

Postby PL-12Airtruk » Thu May 05, 2016 12:27 pm

TehCal, no all good mate and opinion well received and respected.

Maybe you could start your own website, they are very easy to do and being a hobby
site theres no real issues with copyrights and licensing as long as you are not making
a dollar off it.

I'm finding it very odd that no one else has responded to this thread so far or offered an
opinion or explanation as to why the site has suddenly stopped updating?
PL-12Airtruk

Postby themanw/oaname » Thu May 05, 2016 12:43 pm

tehCal wrote:Case in point, there are hundreds of teenage girls on Tumblr making bullshit fan-canon about Fury Road

we have some of that here. only, they act like teenage girls.
themanw/oaname

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion