Too many bullet and cgi in fury road...?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Too many bullet and cgi in fury road...?

Postby Lolo_maxtheroadwarior » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:46 am

I love this movie and with time I've seen a lot of fan found in FR there was too much CGI comparer to the original trilogy and too much bullet used in gunfight compared to MM2 where the bullets was a rare recourse. What is your opinion about this ?
Lolo_maxtheroadwarior

Re: Too many bullet and cgi in fury road...?

Postby Turbofurball » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 am

Well the bullets are kinda covered - like the excessive use of gasoline, when everyones dead whoever is left has all the resources there are, and if you have a way of recycling or making more then you're set.

As for CGI, 'tis the way of the world but FR used it in interesting ways which didn't (for me) detract from the experience ... hell, you can't even see most of it!
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby root » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Well watching the EXTRAS disk they sure didn't need to add the GGI fire balls to the flamethrowers, they were spiting 30 ft flames in a concentrated arc.
Much better then the old WWII issue stuff for sale here in the states. I think the guys wanted that classic WWII flamethrower look so CGI was the only way to go.

Most of the CGI I do/did notice was the sky and background FX.

As far as the bullets? That was explained by the bullet farm. Gas? Gas town Water the Citadel.
Wasn't like they just had a surplus. seems each place mentioned had a job to do. the Citadel, the bullet farm, gas town.
that was what made the trade runs possible and was the opener and story line for the movie.

A routine trade run gone rouge by Furiosa smuggling out Joe's "property"

Rich
root

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:55 pm

I did have.. some difficulty with the suspension of disbelief on the ammunition.

The Bullet Farm is said to be a lead works, but lead is only one component involved.
Primers, Casings, brass or copper plating on the lead bullets, etc..
"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby Artemis Flow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:04 am

I though the use of guns was done just right , no machine guns with unlimited magazines when a gun ran outta bullets they used another one , some of the back story about the bullet farm was that they used recycled bullet casings dredged up from old battlefields that was the primary use of the claw cars sort of like plows , the bullet farm guys were a yellowish colour from mining sulphur to make gunpowder
I saw little use of CGI on flamethrowers most of that shit was real
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby AquaCola » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 am

Foxtrot X-Ray wrote:I did have.. some difficulty with the suspension of disbelief on the ammunition.

The Bullet Farm is said to be a lead works, but lead is only one component involved.
Primers, Casings, brass or copper plating on the lead bullets, etc..

In an early interview George or someone explained how people's "waste" was used in making bullets so that ticks one of the components off the list.
AquaCola

Postby MWFV8 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:54 am

For me a lot of the vehicle cgi stuck out like a sore thumb. There were some scenes that looked like they were out of a computer game. Which was a real shame because they had all those vehicles there for real. There's also some green screen shots that kill entire scenes - notable Max fighting Coma at the end. One the flip side, the cgi backgrounds and minor replacements I found totally convincing and nothing short of remarkable.

I don't know why they went down the road they did with ammunition, a lot of the gun use is completely over the top from the war rig while woefully under utilised from Immortan Joe's army. They did a great job of the world building to justify it, but I don't think it paid off. I prefered stuff like the hedge cutter.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby root » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:34 am

Everything for a bullet is easy look at these chuckelheads in pakiland they don't even have a press.

My 1st ever attempt at making brass.

My heat gun errors out at 2500 F and was reading HI ERROR on this photo.

The finished product.

Notice the pock marks. my 1st pour and I didn't know I needed to degas it.
Setup for the foundry is no longer ghetto 6 years after that pour.
I cast and pour my own pommels, guards and bolsters for weapons I forge.
Also avid and rabid gun collector reloader. WHile I don't assemble like the PAki's I do use a dillion 550 progressive.

Powder is only 3 ingredients.

And primers are easy, the hardest part is working with the small size of them. there are instructions over on castboolitreloads.com.

If it came to the guns using said reloads like I show in the pix the hardest part to swallow would be the H&K guns they flute the brass due to the chamber cuttings and roller lock design. ,
The UZI's on the other hand will eat anything you feed them. as will the that SKS. the G17's will only eat so much lead before they KB I have a BK'd barrel to prove it.

The most important thing would be the Citadel's water supply. Without that you ain't making anything or living.

ETA:
I'm a part time blacksmith and play with read hot and liquid metals when I'm not at my day job 3 days a week.

I make sharp things, pointy things, and sharp pointy things. that are all functional. I repurpose a lot of items into weapons. unless it's a got to be period correct for a customer then it's made the way it was in history at that time period.

Rich
root

Postby AquaCola » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:44 am

MWFV8 wrote:I don't know why they went down the road they did with ammunition, a lot of the gun use is completely over the top from the war rig while woefully under utilised from Immortan Joe's army. They did a great job of the world building to justify it, but I don't think it paid off. I prefered stuff like the hedge cutter.

I took it from Immortan's orders "not a hand laid on them" that they had to hold back their usual weapons against the War Rig like the Flamethrowers, Thundersticks and mounted guns but there is a shot of Slit openly firing on the cab. They could have easily swopped in beside with one of the mounted guns and taken out Max and the Vuvalini but then that would have been a quick death and end to the story.
AquaCola

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 pm

"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion