Brendan McCarthy talks about the conception of Mad Max 4

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Brendan McCarthy talks about the conception of Mad Max 4

Postby Taipan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:50 pm

This is really great, finally the picture of the 2003 Fury Road seems to emerge. It's really interesting to hear how the change of the main actor influenced the way the whole film turned out. Especially how Hardy's Max didn't have the same weight as Max's and that influenced the ending, which was going to finally bring some resolution to Max. I think I would've liked that original version more, but the downside being that it would definitely end Max's journey. Instead we've got prequels, sequels and the whole world built around Fury Road, so the door's open for more.

I'd love to have seen Mel's Max be pissed off at those Wives more, just looking for an occasion to throw them out of the Rig and then turn it all around and finish his journey along with them. Hardy's Max is indeed a 'light' version of Max, even though he gets angry at his predicament a few times he doesn't give off this charisma of an experienced and pissed off Road Warrior that's really have had enough of everything. And it would've paid off great after he saw Furiosa as equal to himself in a similar fashion that the Warrior Woman changed his mind about Max. As much as Fury Road in its final form is a cohesive story with some great themes it kind of shows it's patchwork writing that would've been airtight with Mel in it.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby tehCal » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:04 pm

I can't listen to that one atm Taipan, are there any important points or choice quotes you could transcribe here if you have a moment?
tehCal

Postby Taipan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Sure, here are a few interesting bits:

Fleshing out the story:
Brendan McCarthy wrote:The final film you see is about 80% of what I and George wrote. And what George and Nico then refined and came up with some great stuff that seemed so blindingly obvious when you see the film but when me and Goerge were doing it, we didn't see it. For example: the control of the population in The Citadel by water was not something we had worked out. We had another device. Obviously through conversation, Nico and George said really he (Immortan) should be pumping water, and that's how he controls the population because he had to control them somehow. We had an ideology controlling War Boys, which is a critique of the standard "death for glory" etc, but also he had to control the commodities. That became the theme of the movie - you had to control the water, so that's basic and then the human body itself. Once the theme of the film became obvious, then Nico was able to focus certain bits that needed sharpening and did a very nice job on that.

I wonder what the first device of controlling the people was? Was it the blue detergent that Immortan was trading with Gas Town and the Bullet Farm?

Warner Brothers being silly:
Brendan McCarthy wrote:There was some interesting stuff that you probably are not aware of. In the middle of the shoot Warner Brothers decided that The Citadel sequences were too expensive and the movie was starting with her (Furiosa) just turning off the road. They'd cut out the front and end bookends of the film. I was thinking "Holy Christ!". George invited me over to Africa to watch the shoot and that just happened and it was like it really threw the wrench into everything. We were all sort of thinking how to make it work but George, strange enough, had a lot of calm about it because he knew he didn't have a movie without those bookends. And by the time he delivered this amazing footage, Warners said "you're actually right" so that's the shoots in Sydney that followed the shoot in Africa - that wasn't thought of as 're-shoots'. They weren't re-shoots, they were actually the stuff that was originally planned to be shot featuring The Citadel at the front and end of the movie - that was the stuff that Warner Brothers for a while took out and put it back in again. This is the kind of stuff that you have to deal with then you make a movie. The horrific kind of stuff that those people pull on you.

Consequences of replacing Mel Gibson:
Brendan McCarthy wrote:One of the big things that had happened with Mad Max is that the story that you've seen in Fury Road was the story that was written with me and George and Nico 15 years ago. The story hasn't changed at all from the version that I wrote with him. But the big change was that Mel Gibson was going to be Mad Max. It was going to be the 4th Mad Max in this Mel Gibson series. Now, due to all sorts of things, Mel's meltdown and the film being up and running and then collapsing three times - Mel had to drop out as he got older. And then they looked around for the new Mad Max and Heath Ledger was pretty much going to play Mad Max and he died. And finally Tom Hardy appeared.(...) We realized that Tom Hardy was the natural choice, but Tom Hardy has a sort of different weight as an actor to Mel Gibson. And Mel Gibson having done three Mad Maxes beforehand brings in history with him. Mel Gibson is Mad Max if you look at the first trilogy. He doesn't have to act as Mad Max, he has to dial himself down but he is Mad Max innately. So Mel Gibson in the role against Charlize Theron as Furiosa is a much weightier Max. When you put Tom Hardy in there, he does his own interpretation of Mad Max - a new Mad Max and he isn't as weighty on that side of the balance. So it feels that she's stronger than him in the film, you know as the kind of presence. That was my understanding why it felt a bit imbalanced in favor of Furiosa.
(...)
I'm also talking about the weight. The perception of the character in the film is that she is weightier than him. If you put Mel Gibson back in there he weighs it back over to Max. And that's a casting thing. So once had lost his main Mad Max, it's like Raiders of the Lost Arc without Harrison Ford or something. Now once you've lost that you've got to then eventually find the right character who's going to bring his own dynamics and you don't quite know who that's going to be because Tom Hardy hadn't played Mad Max ever before.
(...)
I understand the critique that Max is lighter in the film than he should've been. He should've been weightier, maybe more dramatic scenes or whatever. But I think that if you consider... also a lot of the publicity and how the film got picked up in the social media was that the feminist thing got very - I felt overstated in terms of the overall movie. I mean if you just picked up that she's freeing those girls from sex slavery and takes them to an idyllic matriarchal society - if you pick that bit up, that's a a certainly a strong part of the film, but it's not the whole film. So if you consider really, Max is strapped to the front of the vehicle for the first half an hour, he then bests the Warrior Woman in a fight, takes their truck but is persuaded to take them with him. As he goes along he can't wait to get rid of them at some point but gradually becomes invested in what they're about. You see her (Furiosa) go to the Green Place that doesn't exist, so she's failed in her mission and basically she takes those girls to their death. They meet the old ladies and decide that again, the woman - Theron's character, decides to take them all out in the wasteland and find somewhere. But Max who has lived out there knows there is nothing out there and in the end he intervenes and says "Look, the only green place I've seen is back there". And if you notice in the film, the actual only greenery is at the top of The Citadel. So then it's Max who becomes the pivotal... with that turn-around scene which comes at the end of act two where they kind of agree that they're going to go back the green place, and get there ahead of the war lord and defend it. We see the warrior woman's, the Theron's mission end in failure and it's Max who takes it up and then turns it around, thwarts what they're trying to do and gives them a solution. And then puts everything he's got into bringing about - letting their mission if you like be accomplished, and then new society starts to form in their green place that they'd just come from. And he leaves and continues on his wandering.

Original ending of Fury Road:
Brendan McCarthy wrote:The thing about Fury Road is , when you had Mel Gibson - and I'm going back 17 years to when we first talked about the story, the idea about Mel Gibson who was then about 40 years old - still as Mad Max. The idea that he'd still be wandering around the wasteland in a pair of black leather trousers looking for himself started to feel a bit old. So you thought - maybe it's time for him to join the human race again and be the custodian of the new society. In the original draft that I wrote with George, which was the one that was going to be shot with Mel Gibson when it was first greenlit - he goes up in the platform in the end with them. He stays as part of that society because he has found this woman that - you know, you don't think he could meet a woman that could ever be equal to him or be worthy of him and be for her, yet in the Charlize's character you feel that - ok, Max has met her. Again, with recasting with Tom Hardy you're not quite sure whether or not Tom Hardy in a sense feels too emotionally young to partner with Charlize Theron. You're kind of pointing the finger at all the issues we had, we discussed and decisions that we made. And I made my decisions and argued for Mel Gibson going up the platform at the end and becoming part of society. In the hero myth of Campbell, he doesn't remain in the wasteland forever, he comes back and rejoins society.

Nux:
Brendan McCarthy wrote:Nux is a lot of fun because he didn't bear the weight of big scenes and big lead character dynamics, he didn't have to carry the movie, he could be someone who goofed around a bit on the character arc. He was a lot more fun to write. But as the themes of the film started to become clearer then you want to make sure that Nux reflects the core theme of the movie. Gradually we started to modify and he acquired his own arc which is to move out of the hyptnotized War Boy state into somebody who realizes that what the girls are trying to do is better than what he's been in and he's committed to their cause too. Because he's a half-life he knows he's not going to live for long. He knows that when he drives the truck it's up to him to crash the truck so that the vision of the green place can come about back in The Citadel where he comes from. He compliments the theme of the movie very well.

That's all there is I think.

BTW, I'm thinking that maybe if I got in contact with all co-writers I could convince them to do a Q&A session on the forums? I think it's doable.
After all, there's no better place they could answer strictly Mad Max related questions from real fans, and those would be pretty in depth questions too, as opposed to a lot of generic things I've heard being asked in plenty of interviews.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby AquaCola » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:15 am

Wow, that was really good and for the I can really see how Mel is missing from Fury Road. Furiosa is a more dominant character and there were a lot of complaints about it being her film and not Max's. With Mel it would have been more equal but I do feel Max and Furiosa were equal at the end scene.

I would have loved to have scene how Fury Road with Mel would have turned out, especially if it took place in the ruined cities they planned.

AND there is the undeniable proof yet again that this is not set after Thunderdome but originally was when Mel was involved.
AquaCola

Postby tehCal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:33 am

Hey Taipan, that idea of a writers Q&A is fantastic! Would actually be keen to get a few of the production team involved, getting answers from those guys on Facebook is tough because they only ever answer in snippets and are choosy about what they reply to -- it's hard to convey to them how much of a victory it is to get the answers the fans on the forum/wiki are after. Took forever for me to get access to that list of vehicles, for instance.

What I'd also love is for the MM community to push hard at KMM for the release of the Fury Road story bible. Unfortunately, Brendan has told me via email that he's not in the position to comment on having that or the script released, and Peter Pound never got back to me. Plus I can't seem to find any social media/email contacts for KMM and I don't quite want to call their Sydney office and be rebuffed. But ALL the fans would buy it if it got a book release -- the Art Of Fury Road book was tantalising but in the end revealed very little that we didn't know already from behind-the-scenes videos etc.

The lore and various offscreen backstories for the characters, locations, vehicles and props is what I think we really need. That stuff, from the mind of George Miller himself, would be a goldmine.
tehCal

Postby levcore » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:25 am

That's a really interesting read, i'll have to listen to the podcast later. It would've certainly been interesting with Mel as an older Max and it would have sorted out some of the age discrepancies but honestly i actually am glad it turned out the way it did. I love Mel but i think hardy brought his own to the role and i honestly can't imagine Mel in Fury Road now.
levcore

Postby Mad Max RW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:18 am

Taipan wrote:
Brendan McCarthy wrote:
I understand the critique that Max is lighter in the film than he should've been. He should've been weightier, maybe more dramatic scenes or whatever. But I think that if you consider... also a lot of the publicity and how the film got picked up in the social media was that the feminist thing got very - I felt overstated in terms of the overall movie. I mean if you just picked up that she's freeing those girls from sex slavery and takes them to an idyllic matriarchal society - if you pick that bit up, that's a a certainly a strong part of the film, but it's not the whole film. So if you consider really, Max is strapped to the front of the vehicle for the first half an hour, he then bests the Warrior Woman in a fight, takes their truck but is persuaded to take them with him. As he goes along he can't wait to get rid of them at some point but gradually becomes invested in what they're about. You see her (Furiosa) go to the Green Place that doesn't exist, so she's failed in her mission and basically she takes those girls to their death. They meet the old ladies and decide that again, the woman - Theron's character, decides to take them all out in the wasteland and find somewhere. But Max who has lived out there knows there is nothing out there and in the end he intervenes and says "Look, the only green place I've seen is back there". And if you notice in the film, the actual only greenery is at the top of The Citadel. So then it's Max who becomes the pivotal... with that turn-around scene which comes at the end of act two where they kind of agree that they're going to go back the green place, and get there ahead of the war lord and defend it. We see the warrior woman's, the Theron's mission end in failure and it's Max who takes it up and then turns it around, thwarts what they're trying to do and gives them a solution. And then puts everything he's got into bringing about - letting their mission if you like be accomplished, and then new society starts to form in their green place that they'd just come from. And he leaves and continues on his wandering.

TRIGGER WARNING! That Brendan McCarthy must really hate women. MISOGYNIST CIS-MALE PIG. BURN HIM! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!
Mad Max RW

Postby RobThom » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:39 am

"...also a lot of the publicity and how the film got picked up in the social media was that the feminist thing got very - I felt overstated in terms of the overall movie."

Obviously that was latched onto and fueled a large portion of the success and praise that its getting now in hollywood, but I dont think it was just over-stated by the SJW's, Miller is battering you over the head with it himself.

Especially in the second part where chicks and old ladies are just snatching guns out of peoples hands and jump cutting into screen to stab them with bullets and shoot people between the eyes.
And all the men are clumsy idiots who cant shoot straight and conveniently strike a pose to get shot...

It started to get a little silly and it seems quite apparent that miller had that feminist political agenda in mind,
he isn't hiding it and was quite proud of bringing in the vergina monologues to lecture everybody on set,
and he was going to shoehorn it in if it took all the CGI in Africa.

The SJW's weren't just making that all up themselves,
it was up there on the screen.
RobThom

Postby Artemis Flow » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

I disagree the Vuvalini were hardened wasteland bad ass babes , you sound like you were threatened by this lol remember Ripley ? > noone carried on like prized chickens over her role in Alien
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:26 am

RobThom wrote:"...also a lot of the publicity and how the film got picked up in the social media was that the feminist thing got very - I felt overstated in terms of the overall movie."
I dont think it was just over-stated by the SJW's, Miller is battering you over the head with it himself.

I think it was overstated.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road