The little details

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

The little details

Postby AquaCola » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Since we've all seen the film so many times and will watch it another 100+ times now that its out on DVD/Blu-Ray I thought we could make thread pointing out the little details you picked up when you were able to pause and rewind that other may not have noticed like:

When Furiosa tries to fire at Immortan Joe and Imperator shields him, he ends up holding on for a minute until the Big Rig Chase goes flying up the ramp, you can see him fall off the side and under the wheels.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 22.21.42.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 22.21.42.png (983.88 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

The same thing happens to Ace, he tries to hold on after Furiosa punches him but when she slams into Nux's car he loses his grip and falls off.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 22.28.39.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 22.28.39.png (797.5 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

George even had the background extras/characters doing things, the Imperators on the Gigahorse are doing some funny warmup clapping their hands and doing mini push ups until they see Nux's car, then they go back to doing them.
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 22.31.28.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 22.31.28.png (672.09 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
AquaCola

Re: The little details

Postby levcore » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:03 am

Awesome observations! Need to find a few of my own. My main one would be the objects/ items that break the widescreen frame in the 3D version, such as Max's foot coming out of the widescreen frame when he kickis Slit off the car and Immortan Joe's pistol, dropped by Nux that flies out of the widescreen frame when he trips. Of course these are only noticeable on the 3D Blu Ray.
levcore

Postby AquaCola » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:53 am

Here is another very cool detail and one that would make a lot of sense in the running of the citadel and raising of the warpups into warboys. There is an apprentice/teacher program where a warboy is assigned to look after a warpup. These are still little boys so twice you can see them reaching out to be hugged presumably by their master/teacher. I'm sure the panic to get the entire armada lowered from the citadel and off to war would be scary for a 5-8 year old boy.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 18.40.15.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 18.40.15.png (755.4 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 18.41.12.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 18.41.12.png (345.63 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
AquaCola

Postby levcore » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:46 pm

Another great observation dude. I noticed the one in the dark cave but not the one out on the platform. These are all things that other film makers would have had characters state with dialogue but George just has it there in the background.
levcore

Postby Airtime143 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:06 pm

there are several little easter eggs for the long time Mad Max fan in this movie, little throwbacks to the old movies.

The most blatant one is the music box the girl is playing with- meant to trigger thoughts of the feral kid... toys in the hands of those he is caring for.

BUT- the 2 that made me laugh out loud that I caught in the first viewing were these...

When Furiosa is cresting the hill being attacked after going off road.. while the war boys on the rig are still on her side... the war boys in the lead car start to pull away in front of her (i believe right before they hit the trap and flip)....
Miller runs the footage in faster than normal speed. A trick he used in mad max and the road warrior fairly frequently to give a higher speed look.
That scene is the only time in Fury Road that they do that, and it absolutely is a throwback to the old movies, a little wink and nod to the fans.

The other one is very obscure, but absolutely brilliant. I watched mad max a zillion times as a kid, and I recognized it and laughed out loud in the theater.
We know Immortan Joe is the Toecutter from Mad max.
That in mind- Max has a nightmare in the war rig and startles awake. We see a closeup of eyes bugging out with hands clutching them.
That my friends, is re-used footage of the toecutters death scene in mad max, and the hands were digitally added.
Link to the scene below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNTNsr4eurQ

What a fantastic little treat to slip in there.

Aside from that, The crows "caw"ing after Max wastes the bullet farmer was a foreshadowing of forming an alliance in my opinion- They used cawing crows as max approached the gyro copter, before making the unlikely friendship with the Gyro captain down the road.
Well, Cawing crows after the explosion... and Max, the lone warrior, arrives with a sack bearing 2 presents for Nux, a wheel and a boot.
Airtime143

Postby Taipan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Airtime143 wrote:Miller runs the footage in faster than normal speed. A trick he used in mad max and the road warrior fairly frequently to give a higher speed look.
That scene is the only time in Fury Road that they do that

According to cinematographer John Seale, virtually all scenes were filmed under 24 frames per second, then altered speed-wise in post. Apparently Miller is very pedantic about the speed at which the scenes should be playing and he's known to juggle the frame rate by one frame to get the exact effect he wants. Off the top of my head, the very first scenes of Max's escape are significantly sped up. That effect is less prominent later in the movie.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby levcore » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:19 am

Yeah i was going to say, loads of the movie has the speed altered, not just that one part. I noticed it regularly throughout.
levcore

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:12 am

I thought the bit where the tanker was sped up in Fury Road looked awful. And I'm not convinced it's any way a homage.

The bug eyes bit is a very neat touch though.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Taipan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:43 am

MWFV8 wrote:I thought the bit where the tanker was sped up in Fury Road looked awful. And I'm not convinced it's any way a homage.

Same. I didn't like the sped up footage overall. I mean if it's unnoticeable then that's fine but once you overdo it it crosses over into slapstick territory, which I think is the complete opposite of what FR was supposed to be modeled after (the Road Warrior was really dark in tone in many ways with some straight up horror elements too). I think the counterargument is that it's supposed to convey the wackiness of that world but I think the world itself was built crazy enough to do without those kind of enhancements. In fact I think FR would really benefit from not flashing its 'wackiness' or 'madness' every chance it got because it loses its meaning when there is no clear frame of reference.
Let's have a look at the opening monologue - 'It's hard to know who was more crazy. Me or everyone else". Was that explanation really necessary? Compare it to the B&W version when Max just turns around and starts to be chased by War Boys. You don't have it laid down on the table that this whole world is insane, instead you've got this contrast where you assume Max is the only guy still somewhat reminding you of the reality (i.e. you are him, grounded in now) and all of sudden he gets chased down but this weird band of freaks. The contrast makes it much more powerful.
Next scene - Max getting his hair cut. His cartoonish escape throws me off for the same reasons. No need for sped up footage, the sheer fact he's treated like an organ donor by those weirdos is enough. Plus there's no time to catch all the little details, like the guys that are grinding down his car. I'm going on a tangent here but I hope that maybe some day there will be a regular speed cut of the movie because it highlights the contrast between Max and that whole world he's in. I think that was one of the stronger points of RW too.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Turbofurball » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:39 am

The use of crows to signify death goes back to Mad Max 1, where you also had the Hawk representing Max's determination for life (or something close to that)
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road