Fury Road "Black & Chrome" Version

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Fury Road "Black & Chrome" Version

Postby Taipan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Looks like someone made it after all. A complete black and white version of Fury Road (dubbed Black & Chrome) was created by a dedicated fan under the guise of "nuxwarboy".
Dialogue removed, only the 'remixed' score remains.

This version was available on Vimeo for a little while, now only exists on 'other' sites if you know what I mean, look it up yourselves.

http://nerdist.com/finally-witness-a-bl ... fury-road/

The source of Black & Chrome version:
https://blackandchrome.wordpress.com/

BlackChrome_FEAT.png
BlackChrome_FEAT.png (334.38 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Re: Fury Road "Black & Chrome" Version

Postby AquaCola » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:55 am

I watched some of it. It was good in places but really lacks the original magic without the dialogue. What is incredible is how the music lines up so well. Junkie XL did an incredible job.

Did Miller say if his black & white version would just have the voices muted? I imagined an entirely new edit of the film.
AquaCola

Postby blackmocco » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:46 am

Miller wanted it mute bar the music score. I'd say I enjoyed this far more than I thought possible. It's thrilling how well it works without any dialog whatsoever and at times, I felt like I was watching some weird lost silent movie. Loved it. Won't be for everyone but a very unique and beautiful version of the movie. The opening without any narration is far more powerful than what's in the finished movie. That opening shot of Max standing beside the Interceptor in complete silence beyond some sinister whispering voices of the victims is beyond haunting. What struck me was how much clearer some of the visuals are when you've nothing else to focus on. The final chase in particular benefits from having no distractions. For some reason, it's much clearer how Furiosa hooks Joe's mouthpiece at the end. Great stuff.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."
blackmocco

Postby Taipan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:15 am

blackmocco wrote:Miller wanted it mute bar the music score. I'd say I enjoyed this far more than I thought possible. It's thrilling how well it works without any dialog whatsoever and at times, I felt like I was watching some weird lost silent movie. Loved it. Won't be for everyone but a very unique and beautiful version of the movie. The opening without any narration is far more powerful than what's in the finished movie. That opening shot of Max standing beside the Interceptor in complete silence beyond some sinister whispering voices of the victims is beyond haunting. What struck me was how much clearer some of the visuals are when you've nothing else to focus on. The final chase in particular benefits from having no distractions. For some reason, it's much clearer how Furiosa hooks Joe's mouthpiece at the end. Great stuff.

My sentiments exactly. I managed to watch only a third of it so far but I absolutely loved it! I feel like any dialogue in this movie takes away from the experience and the movie itself really shines as a purely visual thing. Still haven't seen the whole thing but I think this is the superior version. Brought back memories of watching the Road Warrior for the first time where the visuals told the story and I was hooked on from the get go. And also - this is difficult to explain, but somehow the B&W version removed the wackiness of the War Boys and The Citadel and stuff. Instead of trying to understand what they are through Immortan's speech, Nux and Slit's dialogue you just immediately get the idea that they're brainwashed and that whole place is crazy. I was worried that the removed dialogue would look awkward but it's surprising how brain switches off when someone's talking and you don't listen but watch instead. Take Glory's facial expressions in the very beginning for example. With dialogue I didn't pay any attention to them. But without, when you look at her when she's underwater she looks fucking terrifying! This whole thing just shifts focus in a really awesome way.

Now for the monochromatic palette - I think that was an improvement as well! The enhanced colors of the original while really nice looking weren't exactly 'it' for me because they looked artificial. IMHO the unadulterated colors of RW and MMBT were perfect for me so to see FR in just black and white with all this 'in your face' orange and blue removed made it look nicer.
Taipan

Postby blackmocco » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:20 am

Taipan wrote:Take Glory's facial expressions in the very beginning for example. With dialogue I didn't pay any attention to them. But without, when you look at her when she's underwater she looks fucking terrifying! This whole thing just shifts focus in a really awesome way.

Interesting you say that, I came away from this version thinking Glory was a demon, taunting Max...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."
blackmocco

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 am

It would have been cool if you could see only one color remaining in the black & white version:

the red dress of Doof, like the little girl with the red coat in Spielbergs 'Schindlers List'
Immortan Joecutter

Postby Artemis Flow » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:11 pm

I turned down the colour on my blu ray copy to give it a de saturated look , it works for me :mrgreen:
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby Taipan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Fury Road Black and White version might get a theatrical release in 2016:

http://www.screendaily.com/awards/mad-m ... ntID=43731

In 2016, there might also be a black-and-white version of the film, which Miller confirms was his original intent. A greyscale and silent version was leaked online in September, although it has since been removed. Mitchell says that an official version exists and could yet receive a theatrical release.
Taipan

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road