Question about the two-headed lizard sequence

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Question about the two-headed lizard sequence

Postby Uncle Entity » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 pm

After Max has stomped the two headed lizard:

The very first time I watched the movie, he moved the leg very fast AFTER he stomped the lizard and just retrieved the lizard's dead corpse under his foot very fastly, with agility.

I don't know why, but the second time I watched the movie I perceived the leg movement slower and he retrieved the lizard more slowly, but I could be wrong.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Re: Question about the two-headed lizard sequence

Postby Trundlefish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:17 pm

It could be one of two reasons.

The first being that you already know what is about to happen, as you've already seen the film, thus your memory and eyes are both already aware of what you will soon be seeing. In turn this makes it easier to fully see/understand what is happening.

The second reason may only be true if you saw the film in two separate cinemas. The film speed may be slower, or more probably, the screen image may be sharper.

(I've seen Fury Road at different cinemas and I can say without doubt that some screens/projections were far sharper than others. In my favourite cinema, the screen is small and the images tend to be more blurry. I made a comment on these boards a while back that during the opening scenes where Max is pulled back into the Citadel after jumping onto the hook, his face suddenly seemed to become opaque/blurry. It couldn't understand this until I saw it an another cinema and it was very clear that one of the War Boys wraps a rag/bag over his face to dull Max' senses).
Trundlefish

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am

Trundlefish wrote:It could be one of two reasons.

The first being that you already know what is about to happen, as you've already seen the film, thus your memory and eyes are both already aware of what you will soon be seeing. In turn this makes it easier to fully see/understand what is happening.

The second reason may only be true if you saw the film in two separate cinemas. The film speed may be slower, or more probably, the screen image may be sharper.

(I've seen Fury Road at different cinemas and I can say without doubt that some screens/projections were far sharper than others. In my favourite cinema, the screen is small and the images tend to be more blurry. I made a comment on these boards a while back that during the opening scenes where Max is pulled back into the Citadel after jumping onto the hook, his face suddenly seemed to become opaque/blurry. It couldn't understand this until I saw it an another cinema and it was very clear that one of the War Boys wraps a rag/bag over his face to dull Max' senses).

Right! You're absolutely right.

Wondering what perception is the correct one among the two I "listed"...
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Taipan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:12 am

Uncle Entity wrote:After Max has stomped the two headed lizard:

The very first time I watched the movie, he moved the leg very fast AFTER he stomped the lizard and just retrieved the lizard's dead corpse under his foot very fastly, with agility.

I don't know why, but the second time I watched the movie I perceived the leg movement slower and he retrieved the lizard more slowly, but I could be wrong.

I know, right?

I had the same perception of the movie the second time around. The first time I noticed everything moving really fast, the sped up editing techniques were clear as day, and I won't lie to you - it kind of bothered me. But on the second viewing the sped up shots were barely visible. I think it's a psycho-visual experience (if such thing even exists) and Miller is really good at it. Apparently they didn't film a single scene in standard 25 frames per second and Miller was so meticulous with editing he would speed or slow down each shot by 1 or 2 frames, that's insane.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:28 am

Taipan wrote:
Uncle Entity wrote:After Max has stomped the two headed lizard:

I know, right?

I had the same perception of the movie the second time around. The first time I noticed everything moving really fast, the sped up editing techniques were clear as day, and I won't lie to you - it kind of bothered me. But on the second viewing the sped up shots were barely visible. I think it's a psycho-visual experience (if such thing even exists) and Miller is really good at it. Apparently they didn't film a single scene in standard 25 frames per second and Miller was so meticulous with editing he would speed or slow down each shot by 1 or 2 frames, that's insane.

Great to know.

But so what "version" is canon?

The one where Max moves his leg FASTLY and grabs the lizard's corpse under his boot FASTLY or the one where the leg movement is slower, as Max just don't really care about eating the corpse or have no urge to do it?
Uncle Entity

Postby Taipan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:32 am

I don't think there really are different versions of this scene, nor the movie itself. It's just a visual trick that wears off after watching the movie multiple times. For me, the fight scene between Max and Furiosa was crazy fast the first time I saw it. The second time (in the same cinema) it was way closer to normal speed.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Artemis Flow » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:20 am

I agree there's no difference in that scene , I saw the movie in 3 different theatres , why on earth would they do that lol :|
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 am

Artemis Flow wrote:I agree there's no difference in that scene , I saw the movie in 3 different theatres , why on earth would they do that lol :|

I agree. So what's the proper perception out of the two I had?
Uncle Entity

Postby Stamper » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Movie wasn't shot at 25fps, but 24. 25fps is not a movie frame rate, it's a video frame rate. Movies are shot at 24, or even 23.976.
Stamper

Postby rockatansky4073 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:54 am

Seen it 9 times in 3 different cinemas and it always looks the same speed to me ;)

Ol' Entity just gets bored sometimes and MUST post something, anything, everything...
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road