FURY ROAD's Oscar chances? 10 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby Turbofurball » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 pm

I would hope it would get at least one technical award, but it can also be a strong contender for something like best supporting actress etc.

The Academy has awarded some real stinkers in the past though, over far superior and enduring films, so I'll not be holding my breath for anything ... the only reason I care at all is because it helps the sequel cause.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
User avatar
Turbofurball
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 5:05 am

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby henry2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 am

Do you guys think the International Critics voting FURY ROAD Best Picture could help it's Oscar chances? I honestly think it not only deserves a nomination, but a win. It's truly one of the best films ever!
henry2
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 am

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby Taipan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 am

As much as the International Critics voting Fury Road Best Picture is cool and all, I don't really think it matters that much its Oscar chances.

Not that Oscars are anything to go by recently, there's so much politics, ins and outs and reactionary nominations that I don't think it really matters if Fury Road gets Oscars. For all its worth, International Critics decision to make it the Best Picture speaks much more, just with less glamour because there's no gigantic celebrity filled spectacle around it. But I think Fury Road will be AT LEAST nominated for stunts and cinematography. It's got to be! I mean we're talking a movie that's been designed from the ground up as a visual experience and it pulled it off perfectly, I haven't even heard of a movie that came close to that this year, bar none. And stunts? That's the main selling point of Fury Road whenever you hear about it.

Charlize did a damn good job at portraying Furiosa, so maybe a nomination for best supporting actor? Main actor? Where the hell does she fit in?
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
User avatar
Taipan
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am
Location: The Wasteland

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:28 pm

henry2 wrote:Do you guys think the International Critics voting FURY ROAD Best Picture could help it's Oscar chances? I honestly think it not only deserves a nomination, but a win. It's truly one of the best films ever!


Call me nuts but I think it WILL WIN the Oscar for Best Picture..!

The majority of the Academy members are old men. I hope some of them were fans of Mad Max back in the 80's.. ;)
User avatar
Immortan Joecutter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby MWFV8 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:19 am

Taipan wrote:Not that Oscars are anything to go by recently, there's so much politics, ins and outs and reactionary nominations that I don't think it really matters if Fury Road gets Oscars. For all its worth, International Critics decision to make it the Best Picture speaks much more, just with less glamour because there's no gigantic celebrity filled spectacle around it.


^This.

The Oscars is little more than a huge Hollywood wrap-up party basking in self applause. It's very much led by box office and public opinion and tends to deliver what it thinks the world wants to see. Given Fury Road's (and subsequently Tom Hardy's) popularity, they will most likely find a place for it. There's also a lot of current social politics (environmental/feminism) that FR aligns well with.

It's worth keeping in mind that award ceremonies like the Oscars aren't as clear cut as they seem on the surface. Nominees, often through obligation through their original contracts, have to campaign hard to win over the jury. Some that have been through it, such as Michael Fassbender have sworn never to go through it again.

Awards and critical opinion can sadly be quite easily bought and often those behind them have their own agenda to raise their profile.

What I'd actually like to see is Fury Road raise the profile of award ceremonies such as the Taurus World Stunt Awards which has sadly shrunk in profile over the years. The people that really need celebrating here are the stunts, art departments and effects teams - Fury Road would have been very little without them.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
User avatar
MWFV8
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:07 am

Pictures from George Miller of todays special screening of Fury Road at the filmfestival in San Sebastian (FIPRESCI Critics Award):

http://www.sansebastianfestival.com/sec ... /630232/in
User avatar
Immortan Joecutter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby henry2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Immortan Joecutter wrote:
henry2 wrote:Do you guys think the International Critics voting FURY ROAD Best Picture could help it's Oscar chances? I honestly think it not only deserves a nomination, but a win. It's truly one of the best films ever!


Call me nuts but I think it WILL WIN the Oscar for Best Picture..!

The majority of the Academy members are old men. I hope some of them were fans of Mad Max back in the 80's.. ;)


I sure hope you're right and it wins Best Picture my friend, it's one of the best films of all time let alone this year! :)
henry2
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 am

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:23 pm

henry2 wrote:
Immortan Joecutter wrote:
henry2 wrote:Do you guys think the International Critics voting FURY ROAD Best Picture could help it's Oscar chances? I honestly think it not only deserves a nomination, but a win. It's truly one of the best films ever!


Call me nuts but I think it WILL WIN the Oscar for Best Picture..!

The majority of the Academy members are old men. I hope some of them were fans of Mad Max back in the 80's.. ;)


I sure hope you're right and it wins Best Picture my friend, it's one of the best films of all time let alone this year! :)


Sometimes the Academy gets it right. Examples are 'The Silence of the Lambs' or 'Braveheart'.
In 1996 it was quite a sensation when Mel won the Oscar for Best Director and Best Picture. Nobody expected it.
User avatar
Immortan Joecutter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby biolumen » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Mike McGranaghan
‏@AisleSeat

It's official: WB is pushing MAD MAX: FURY ROAD for a Best Picture nomination.

Image

https://twitter.com/AisleSeat/status/653647607672242176

Mike McGranaghan
‏@AisleSeat

Because people have asked, the MAD MAX: FURY ROAD actors are all being pushed for awards, too.

Image

https://twitter.com/AisleSeat/status/653651297682522112

Mike McGranaghan
‏@AisleSeat

Also of note: George Miller being promoted for Best Director and Tom Holkenborg (a.k.a. Junkie XL) for Best Original Score.

https://twitter.com/AisleSeat/status/653652111524298752
biolumen
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: FURY ROAD's Oscar chances?

Postby blackmocco » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:13 am

Couldn't see it winning best pic seeing as the Academy rarely rewards fantasy movies in that fashion, but Best Director sounds very possible to me seeing as it's other directors who vote. Production Design, Editing, Music Score, Sound Design, Costume Design and I'm gonna say Theron for Best Actress look like solid noms at the very least, with a few wins a real possibility. It's a critics' darling, which usually means good things at awards time but better than that, it's earned the respect of professionals in the industry which is REALLY good...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."
blackmocco
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests