Mad Max: Fury Road rated 'R' in the US

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road rated 'R' in the US

Postby decosabute » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:14 am

seriz wrote:I didn't see the movie, but something like the milky room is a "disturbing image" I think, no ? It's hard to imagine such a thing in a PG13... After, I don't know how it is shown in the movie...

It's possibly a bit off topic, and forgive my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean with this?
decosabute

Postby DGSimo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:01 am

decosabute wrote:
seriz wrote:I didn't see the movie, but something like the milky room is a "disturbing image" I think, no ? It's hard to imagine such a thing in a PG13... After, I don't know how it is shown in the movie...

It's possibly a bit off topic, and forgive my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean with this?

He's talking about The Milk Mothers. Women who are connected to various tubes and whatnot for the sole purpose of harvesting their breast milk in the citadel.

Regarding box office and the rating: WB could of been less gunshy about it considering the studio had the highest grossing movie in the US in 2014 and it was R rated.
DGSimo

Postby MWFV8 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:37 am

DGSimo wrote:Regarding box office and the rating: WB could of been less gunshy about it considering the studio had the highest grossing movie in the US in 2014 and it was R rated.

This is a good point. Perhaps WB are seeing an opportunity to differentiate from the other blockbusters here and capitalise on it. Although what blackmocco has seen has been tame, we could be talking about the addition of only moments or even elements that are added post-production.

It's certainly piqued my interest in the next trailer.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Ol' Coyote » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:55 am

DGSimo wrote:Regarding box office and the rating: WB could of been less gunshy about it considering the studio had the highest grossing movie in the US in 2014 and it was R rated.

What was the movie again ?
"You know, Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane."
Ol' Coyote

Postby MWFV8 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:04 am

Ol' Coyote wrote:

What was the movie again ?

American Sniper
MWFV8

Postby DGSimo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:51 am

MWFV8 wrote:

This is a good point. Perhaps WB are seeing an opportunity to differentiate from the other blockbusters here and capitalise on it. Although what blackmocco has seen has been tame, we could be talking about the addition of only moments or even elements that are added post-production.

It's certainly piqued my interest in the next trailer.

Yeah although the first screening was described as being intense and "either pushing pg13 to it's limit or it's r" . I'll have to go back and read those impressions. Let's also not forget that at the last screening WB screened 2 different cuts...

You brought up a good point though that maybe it's not necessarily the content but the constant duration of action/violence which is what gave the rating. We won't know till May.
DGSimo

Postby blackmocco » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 am

For what it's worth, I'll be happy to be proven wrong if it turns out the movie goes R in the end. Did a bit of research into the ratings system here in the US and I guess it's conceivable someone could watch the movie and rate it that way but really, unless they've gone in and retooled the movie from the screening I saw - and I'm pretty sure they haven't - it would be a pretty harsh R. I've watched movies rated PG-13 that have more explicit sex and violence than Fury Road so I don't know how that flies.

And once again, I still maintain it's a recipe for box-office disaster. It's all very well to use American Sniper as an example of an R-rated movie doing well at the box office but that's a movie that appeals to a HUGE cross-section of the American public. I think it's safe to say Mad Max is just a little more niche in terms of genre and appeal, no?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."
blackmocco

Postby biolumen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:22 am

Perhaps WB has concluded that the rating doesn't matter so much because international box office receipts will far exceed domestic receipts anyway.

Simo, I thought the screening of 2 versions was just an unfounded rumor.

I have to say one other thing. I never thought in my lifetime I would see another R rated film from GM., not after all those family flicks. Awesome.
biolumen

Postby MWFV8 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:01 am

blackmocco wrote:I think it's safe to say Mad Max is just a little more niche in terms of genre and appeal, no?

I'd say, when it comes to ratings issues, the main audience consideration would be the theatre going demographic. As I understand it, and I may be way off here, the big money at the moment these days with blockbusters like this tends to be with a younger crowd and therefore 13-17 year olds represent a significant part of the theatre market.

We do know that a key factor in the R rating is tough violence or sustained violence. So it may just be a case of the amount of screentime all these action scenes take up.

I can't help but wonder if this is less about something visually graphic and more to do with adult oriented themes. Maybe the MPAA have some issue with movies focusing realistically on civilians forming tribes and going to war with makeshift weapons?

Also, am I right to believe that some movies are submitted to the MPAA and then the rating is appealed or the movie is recut in the hope of obtaining a lower rating? Could it be that WB have simply pushed things as far as they can and will most likely dial things back a little for release?

I do get the viral marketing argument. Release a movie that had to have the violence dialed back. Worked for Kill Bill. But then I get the counterargument that a knowingly watered down cut could be less appealing.
MWFV8

Postby DGSimo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:15 am

biolumen wrote:Simo, I thought the screening of 2 versions was just an unfounded rumor..

I was just able to find out at the time that 2 screenings did happen but couldn't confirm if 2 different cuts were screened.

MWFV8 wrote:
blackmocco wrote:I think it's safe to say Mad Max is just a little more niche in terms of genre and appeal, no?

I'd say, when it comes to ratings issues, the main audience consideration would be the theatre going demographic. As I understand it, and I may be way off here, the big money at the moment these days with blockbusters like this tends to be with a younger crowd and therefore 13-17 year olds represent a significant part of the theatre market.

We do know that a key factor in the R rating is tough violence or sustained violence. So it may just be a case of the amount of screentime all these action scenes take up.

I can't help but wonder if this is less about something visually graphic and more to do with adult oriented themes. Maybe the MPAA have some issue with movies focusing realistically on civilians forming tribes and going to war with makeshift weapons?

Also, am I right to believe that some movies are submitted to the MPAA and then the rating is appealed or the movie is recut in the hope of obtaining a lower rating? Could it be that WB have simply pushed things as far as they can and will most likely dial things back a little for release?

I do get the viral marketing argument. Release a movie that had to have the violence dialed back. Worked for Kill Bill. But then I get the counterargument that a knowingly watered down cut could be less appealing.

It's hard to say. I mean what might seem tame to me or you might come across somebody else totally different, especially if it's somebody in the MPAA that has to rate this and think of the broader audience. Again, blackmocco has seen it but until we see it for ourselves we won't know. I just know that over the course of 3 test screenings having occurred I've heard everything from the film being unquestionably R rated to pushing PG-13 to yeah it's PG-13 no doubt.

It's worth pointing out though that Miller himself said on Monday that the final mix was done and the film was complete and ready to be seen which means over the weekend the final edit and cut as intended for theaters was screened for the MPAA and thus rated. Also from my understanding If the studio wanted or was going to appeal the rating then the MPAA would not of publically revealed the rating.

Also the MPAA didn't just sneakily through up the new classification for sites like box office mojo or even people to search for to find out: the MPAA sends out a bulletin every week to distributors, news outlets, emails etc to inform them of new ratings and that's how box office mojo got and listed it along with some other news sites.
DGSimo

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road