Donut Dale Little River 08

Back 2 The Max - Little River, 10 - 12 October 2008 (and formerly Broken Hill, July 12-14 2002)

Re: Donut Dale Little River 08

Postby Cueball » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi Dale,

thank you so much for posting these treasures, cant stop to stare at them :!:

Dirk
I dont know, man..... I just got here meself!
Cueball

Postby zboy again » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:55 am

That is just awesome Dale !!!
Thanks so much for pics like that.

I spoke to my ol man yesterday & he had a chuckle about when he pulled you guys up on the bikes when headed to clunes........

Dave
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL OUTLAWS
zboy again

Postby nelson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:18 am

Thanks for the pictures Dale, they are unbelievable after all these years. Hey Zboy, what the story about your ol man???
nelson

Postby zboy again » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:49 am

Hey Zboy, what the story about your ol man???

Did you hear the story on the weekend about the bike guys getting pulled up on the way to filming in Clunes ? I think Nic or Dale mentioned it in a speech sat night a few bikes with no rego & cruising along at over 100mph & happen to get pulled over by the Ballarat highway patrol :shock:

Well after stopping the bikes and a while of hearing the story about a film being done & that these guys were in it a vehicle pulls up with a guy that was the director or producer (dad can't remember which one it was) to back up their story. So after at first being a bit grumpy with them he sent them on their way with a warning of not to do it again........ The cop was my old man, he was a highway patrol bike cop in the 60's then worked the hume in the late 60's to mid 70's in unmarked gt falcons before going to Ballarat in 74.

Then in 81 he transferred to be in charge of the Ararat highway patrol (later the TOG) he also met Murray a few times as he was local to here..... ;)

Funny that Dad (was & still is a bit of a revhead)gave me a vhs version of the movie for xmas when I was only ten years old (considering it's rating) that was a life changing moment for me & the many rear tyres I have destroyed since.......... to finally meet Dale was a huge honour to me :D

so as ya can see my connection to the film was started before the movie was even finished in a fashion..... ;) :D :D
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL OUTLAWS
zboy again

Postby Donut Dale » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:03 am

Thanks for the pics Dale, i just cant belive there is still new pics out ther for us to see from 30 yrs ago, also thanks for the stories and the autograph while on kirks bridge.
I was the guy with the charger by the way.
I can't belive i did not get a pick of my car on kirks bridge while i was there.
cheers Jamie...

Hi Jamie
Thank you too. I have some pics, but not many.
Yeah, remember your "Hey Charger" very well, especially as I was an apprentice mechanic at a Chrysler dealer when they hit the road. A classic.
That's a shame you didn't get a pic of your Charger on Kirks Bridge, but you do know why don't you? ...
Ford and Kwaka ghosts have been guarding the bitumen since Friday the 13th January 1978!
:lol:

Regards
Dale
Image Image Image Image
Donut Dale

Postby Donut Dale » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:08 am

Daved wrote:Dale,
Thanks so much for posting the pics up for us.... if you have anymore or have any anecdotes from that time, I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say we'd LOVE to see/hear them......
This is the sort of stuff that us fans dream of seeing on the forum, thanks so so much for sharing.

Thanks, it's a pleasure to share what I can. Brings back memories, but is oddly much more enjoyable to share so many years on. (Particularly after last weekend meeting all the good people who were at Little River).

"Anecdote":
A FEW YEARS FROM NOW...
In 1977 (or '78?) the Vigilanties Motor Cycle Club, which I was a member of, drank at a pub which was at the big roundabout at Elizabeth street (intersection of Flemington road), outer CBD Melbourne.
One night, on a movie bike, the Goose himself popped in and had a few beers with us. I can't actually remember which bike he was on, but I don't think it was the Goose Scoot. Can't even remember what he was wearing.

Even though Steve Bisley was an unknown at the time, as one of the main actors/characters in the movie, we thought that was pretty cool of him to come and have a drink "with the boys".
And he really was the sort of person you could describe as "Larger than life" (But I can't say "twice as ugly" or I may see him coming as in this pic) ...
:lol:

The Goose and his baton (and the best pic I have of an unknown named Mel ... bummer):

Stunt coordinator Grant Page left of the red light.
Last edited by Donut Dale on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Donut Dale

Postby PursuitSpecial » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 am

Awesome to see your pictures Dale and to have you on the board! Very cool indeed. So what ever happened to the bike from the movie or the red pants?

Also, to all, check out the blue light on the roof of the interceptor. Kind of different.

"I pursued my enemies and overtook them;
I did not turn back till they were destroyed."
-Psalm 18:37

Username: Jon (Jun. 28, 1999 - Oct. 17 1999)
Username: JtB (Oct. 17, 1999 - Mar. 31, 2000)
Username: PursuitSpecial (Mar. 31, 2000 - present)
PursuitSpecial

Postby Cueball » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 am

Dale, thank you so much again for posting these treasures and of course the stories around the filming.
Cant believe what great photos appearing after all those years!

Sam pointed out after i was sending him a scan of the drag scene,
and you can see it on this photo too, that the top lights are a bit different.
The red one has a bulged top, while the blue one is flat.
Just for the nitpicking replica builders :mrgreen:

Dirk
I dont know, man..... I just got here meself!
Cueball

Postby nelson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 am

Hey Dale, once again thanks for being on here and posting such great shots. To see new stuff after all these years is amazing, I am sure all on here are blown away by you posting these.
nelson

Postby Donut Dale » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:38 am

Cueball wrote:Sam pointed out after i was sending him a scan of the drag scene,
and you can see it on this photo too, that the top lights are a bit different.
The red one has a bulged top, while the blue one is flat.
Just for the nitpicking replica builders :mrgreen:

Dirk

The drag scene ... was filmed earlier on the same day as the night accident scene.

The story was that Max and Goose were to swap vehicles and have a drag race. Grant Page was the car driver and I was the bike rider. The bike being a lot quicker off the mark than the car, I had to try and make it look like I was twisting full throttle as they were to appear as though equal in acceleration.

Just a thought, and I don't know the real reason the scene wasn't used, but it's conceivable that the drag race didn't appear genuine due to reasons above. I recall it did feel difficult to give credibility to the drag, and seemed pretty fake at the time. But I suppose with clever cuts and audio, it could have been made to look real. The magic of cinema combined with the magic of Dr Miller could probably achieve anything. Amazing man Dr Miller. And a very likeable guy.
This may be an appropriate time to say "Hey George ... got a part for me in 4?" (At least I tried). :roll:
PS. Mel was not a very confident car driver, let alone a motorcycle rider.

Wonder if that footage still exists? Wouldn't be surprised if it's sitting somewhere in Georges archives.

FRIDAY DECEMBER 16, 1977 (thanks to those call sheets):
Last edited by Donut Dale on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Donut Dale

PreviousNext

Return to Back 2 The Max