Little River 30th Anniversary filming Mad Max Event

Back 2 The Max - Little River, 10 - 12 October 2008 (and formerly Broken Hill, July 12-14 2002)

Little River 30th Anniversary filming Mad Max Event

Postby nelson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:54 pm

What an event. Credit where it is due, the Back 2 The Max crew and the Little River Historical Society put on an fantastic weekend. The event was made what it was by the cast and crew from the movie, the guys who bought their replicas, and all the fans who turned up.

All the cast and crew who turned up where amazing. They gave their time and where happy to sign autographs and say their lines over and over again. I think it is fair to say that they had smiles nearly as big as the fans on their faces. Many of them commented on the sprit of the weekend and how they attended the event because of the attitude of the event organisors, for the fans not for the money.

The guys who bought their cars, Dan from Queensland, Troy who just finished his van that weekened, Scott L, who bought the popular stunt car that had people in it all weekend, Pat whose interceptor could be heard all weekend with its siren going non stop, and the madmaxbikes boys with toecutter and goose replicas. All these guys did it for nothing and would have spent considereble money not just building the replicas but also transporting them, thank you as they made the weekend even more special seeing those cars out on the roads. So many fans got the chance to ride in a replica and the tours got photos of the replicas at the movie locations.

Over the next few posts I want to share some of the stories of the event for those who couldnt attend. The photos posted tell most of it but there were some great moments that shoud be noted. I encourage all to post their stories as there was so much happening that even those who attended would have missed.
nelson

Re: Little River 30th Anniversary filming Mad Max Event

Postby nelson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:13 pm

I would like to publically thank Daved who took some awesome pics during the weekend and has posted many of them. He has also offered to send a dvd of the pics to those who want copies (see his post for details). If it wasnt for Daved those spur of the moment things such as chasing the toecutter would be just memories. The fact that he is willing to share the pics is testament to the type of guy he is and the type of people who attended the event and post on this board. I think you will agree it wasnt just a good camera that got those shots, it was a good camera man.

Keep those pics coming, not just for those who couldnt come but for those who did come but couldnt be everywhere at once.
nelson

Postby nelson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Starbuck " My favourite kind, female" (Nic Gazzana), who also did the cabaret music and can sing had not even heard his own voice in the movie. He went to the states after filming and only heard the dubbed version.
nelson

Postby nelson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm

nelson

Postby nelson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:34 pm

This is the petrol station that kept us fuelled up fo the weekened. The Bopper car was very thirsty.

nelson

Postby zboy again » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Here's a litle story about our trip down which is a funny story in itself before we even made it there...... :roll:

After looking fwd to this event for months us Ararat guys were pumped to go & last week up until the thurs before it myself & paul were in northern nsw(cobar) in my tilt tray delivering caravans, on the way home I decided to try & buy some love heart sunnies or a pink blow up elephant with a dice on it's trunk...... you should see the looks on shop keepers faces when two burly guys ask that in outback towns :lol: :lol: a couple of times I was told where the local sex shop was ....then I explained it's not that type of blowup elephant ;)

I even ventued into a catholic op shop in Cobar itself to try buying the manequin out of the window as it was the same as in the movie, apparently a guy in an outlaws bike show shirt & the coop satan tattooed on his arm get strange looks & reacions in these shops... quite funny tho' and the old ducks had a friendly chuckle when I explained why I wanted to buy it.

Meawhile Nifty was flat out at his tattoo studio & telling all about this great w/e coming up & explainingwhy he was taking no bookings for this period.

Oh well , just head home & load the gear in the mercury & then set off for a great weekend was the plan.....

After a sleep in, a meting point was arranged with Pat travelling through from Adelaide to travel down togethor as he wasn't quite sure on where to head off the feeway from. So we meet up at a roahouse & off we go, swags & bags in the back & a few drinks as we tootle along.... but 15klms up the road there is a loud bang & the wagon swerves whilst crossing a double lined blind bend over a rail bridge :o it had blown out the rear left tyre & being low it ended up with the diff housing & u bolts dragging on the road, I drove 300 meters like this to clear the corner & find a safe spot to stop, upon inspection it had ripped the fuel filler pipe out of the tank & done some panel damage (mainly under body).

Luckily, Pat was following which allowed a safe stop with his truck behind us, so it was up in with pat to get a lift back to my place & grab the truck, (so much for a w/e away from work...) give Pat some directions to get to little river & he was on his way whilst I loaded the wagon , I jokingly said I'll race ya there as I have no speed lmiter & the tilt tray will in fact run the needle of the clock with a load....

here's a pic of fuel gushing out when loading due to the hole the tank.... the juice,the precious juice. :lol:

After quickly loading we hit the road & slipping along quite nicely we ended up taking a faster long cut & when we pulled up in little river it was only 5 mins later that Pat pulled up wondering how we beat him there....... 8-)

So after that adventure just getting there we hit the pub & that was the beginning of the best weekend ever to be had.......

The trip home ? well that's another fun story that involved dancing in the main st of clunes in front of some bewildered people at the wine cafe & lolly shop....... :lol: :lol:

Sorry if I bored ya's with this, but it may explain if anyone was wondering why tat bloody 57 merc wagon was sitting on a truck at the pub all w/e with 3 guys camping beside it in swags.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL OUTLAWS
zboy again

Postby nelson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Hey Zboy, keep the stories coming. There are so many from the weekend, hard to know where to start. We took Johhny Bopper from Scotland to Clunes and tok some pics. He took so many I only got two. When he gets home expect some howler shots, especially at the train station.

nelson

Postby zboy again » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:52 pm

We took Johhny Bopper from Scotland to Clunes and tok some pics.

Yeah , We saw the writing on the wall........ ;) :lol: :lol:

One thing I did notice at Clunes isthat the stuff from the window at the garage is now missing? it was still there 3 or 4 weeks ago & as far as I'm aware it was the same sunfaded items that were visible in the movie. we had a drink at the pub there & watched the last 5laps of bathurst whilst refleting on what an awesome time we had just had.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL OUTLAWS
zboy again

Postby Cueball » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks you guys for all the amazing photos and nice stories, really eases the pain of not being there.
I dont know, man..... I just got here meself!
Cueball

Next

Return to Back 2 The Max