The "wrecks" & other movie vehicles

Back 2 The Max - Little River, 10 - 12 October 2008 (and formerly Broken Hill, July 12-14 2002)

Postby PursuitSpecial » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:22 pm

Very sorry Peter, I should have checked first...

I just remember I told you about it once and you said you woudn't change it without proof, so I sent you a page or some pics with proof, and I don't remember if I got an email back from that, but I know I checked the page a couple times after that and it was still saying it was a '57 or '58.

"I pursued my enemies and overtook them;
I did not turn back till they were destroyed."
-Psalm 18:37

Username: Jon (Jun. 28, 1999 - Oct. 17 1999)
Username: JtB (Oct. 17, 1999 - Mar. 31, 2000)
Username: PursuitSpecial (Mar. 31, 2000 - present)
PursuitSpecial

Postby Interdictor » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:32 am

My bad. I just grabbed a year actually. Don't see to many DeSoto's for referance.

Pursuit Special, Whereabouts is (was) that car? was it a basket case, or did it look salvageable?
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Peter Barton » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:53 am

What do you mean the F100 doesn't look much, I thought it looked awesome! I'm actually glad it has been left as is - much more authentic than the "restored" Interceptor. The F100 still wears the same battle damage it had the day it drove off set. I think it would be a real shame if the vehicle was ever put back to showroom condition - if you're going to do that, just grab another F100 and make a replica.

Of course some restoration of the F100 is still in order. It certainly looks a lot better now that Scott has put so much effort into getting it back onto a working chassis. But I'd leave the base shell / panels as they are. The drivers door looks like it bounced off that tanker only yesterday, it would be a shame if that part of the history was lost in a restoration.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Interdictor » Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:59 am

You say Scott did the work? Is Derek still the owner?

I absolutely agree nothing should be "restored" on it save for maybe re installing the dart gun assembly to really make it as it was when last we saw it on film. I wasn't expecting to ever see it again, let alone in RUNNING order. From his Interceptor(s) to the Landau, Back to the Max, and now the cobra truck too, I say HEAR, HEAR!! to Scott ! You have selflessly done so much for the preservation of all things Max. You should be PROUD!
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby MFP1 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:10 pm

Wow,

Yeah thet is cool that it has been put back on wheels, and running too! I had thought it a shame that it had been stripped of its guts, so its cool ot have it going again. Scott did the work on that? Wow he must have been busy with all the replicas and restoring the F100 besides all the B2TM arrangements.

Nelson,

I will be very excited to see the pics and vid! Thanks a million fo thinking of me while you were there. What did you think of that "Red XA / Bat Coupe" hybred car? Whose was that anyway?
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby nelson » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:30 am

I was disapointed with the cobra truck initially becuase the owner had told me it was just about ready to get back on the road, he said and I have it on tape, 'all it needs is the tyres painted and the engine connected.' So when I went to see it I expected to see a completely rebuilt truck. I believe the owner underestimated the value of the truck, and interceptor, in its original condition. As a rebuilt truck or replica it was diasapointing. As a piece of history it was awesome. I tried to explain to the tourists (not max fans) who came with me the eery, chilling feeling I got from seeing these vehicles when to them they were just crap.

The cobra truck should be maintained in its present condition, just seeing the battle damage conjured up fantastic images.

George Kritty has the bat coupe. His is one incredible charactor. Check out his artwork in the fans section. He drew tow pics of the xa wipeout colliding with the mack truck and gave them to Kim and Dennis. These pics were unreal and he did them overnight after one of the functions. I also found George, like all the fans I met, very giving of their time and willing to discuss max stuff forever. We really needed a back2themax WEEK
nelson

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:18 am

While were all jumpin for joy over the back 2 the max pics and i too agree the Landau replica is simply incredible but what ever became of the Monaro from The Road Warrior/MM2?the red one with t tops and the custom front clip,it only got sideswiped like the red F 100.and also speakin of f 100s what happened to that black F100 towtruck?actually if it was a real tow truck it was a F 250.as for Krittys Falcon,he might as well finish it in making it into the red X1,hes got the wing,the hood and the car he can prob get Scott Smith to fab him up a dually rear set up like on the landau
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby Peter Barton » Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:33 am

According to Dennis Williams, during that stunt the Monaro actually went right under the truck and popped its nose out the other side! The truck had to be stopped to get the car out. So I dare say the shell was a lot more beat up than what we saw on screen. Which doesn't mean it wasn't rescued, but I've not heard of it since, and it seems more likely that this shell might have been crushed.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Interdictor » Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:18 am

Were the three vehicles in the pics ( the Interceptor, Cobra truck & buggie) put on display specifically for the event, or are they now on permanent display? ie; can they still be seen by fans who seek them out, or have they been squirreled away again?
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Peter Barton » Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:31 am

The current display Derek has set up is only temporary, my understanding is that the vehicles will be on display in their current location (Penrose Park) until at least the end of this month. For anyone intending to head out there in the next month, I would recommend contacting Penrose Park on (08) 8088 5307 to find out the details.

Beyond this I don't know what the plans are. I've asked to be kept informed if the vehicles stay on permanent display anywhere, and if that happens I'll certainly be posting all the relevant details on the web site. I know that Derek would like to do this, I guess that largely depends on whether or not it's economically viable to do.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Back 2 The Max